Connect with us

Popular World News

Goldman Sees Higher Chance of Fed Cutting Next Month on Tariffs By Bloomberg

© Reuters.  Goldman Sees Higher Chance of Fed Cutting Next Month on Tariffs

ECONOMIC NEWS

Goldman Sees Higher Chance of Fed Cutting Next Month on Tariffs By Bloomberg


© Reuters. Goldman Sees Higher Chance of Fed Cutting Next Month on Tariffs

(Bloomberg) — Goldman Sachs (NYSE:) Inc. economists now see a greater chance that the Federal Reserve will lower interest rates in September after Donald Trump threatened to impose new tariffs on Chinese goods.

“We now see a 70% chance of a 25 basis point cut, a 10% chance of a 50 basis point cut, and a 20% chance of no policy change in September,” the bank’s economists led by Jan Hatzius wrote in a note.

They had previously pegged a 55% chance for a quarter-point cut next month.

Trump’s sudden announcement Thursday of 10% levies on $300 billion of Chinese goods — expected to include smartphones, computers and clothing — is likely to pile downward pressure on the world economy, forcing central banks to respond.

Chairman Jerome Powell this week partly attributed the Fed’s first interest rate cut since the financial crisis to the effects of the U.S. and China trade war.

“We now see a 90% chance of at least one additional cut (beyond that announced on Wednesday) at some point this year (vs. 80% previously),” Goldman’s economists wrote. “We have not changed our baseline forecast that the Fed will cut by a total of 50 basis points, but the announcement tilts the risks toward deeper cuts.”

Disclaimer: Fusion Media would like to remind you that the data contained in this website is not necessarily real-time nor accurate. All CFDs (stocks, indexes, futures) and Forex prices are not provided by exchanges but rather by market makers, and so prices may not be accurate and may differ from the actual market price, meaning prices are indicative and not appropriate for trading purposes. Therefore Fusion Media doesn`t bear any responsibility for any trading losses you might incur as a result of using this data.

Fusion Media or anyone involved with Fusion Media will not accept any liability for loss or damage as a result of reliance on the information including data, quotes, charts and buy/sell signals contained within this website. Please be fully informed regarding the risks and costs associated with trading the financial markets, it is one of the riskiest investment forms possible.





Source link

Continue Reading
You may also like...
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in ECONOMIC NEWS

To Top
error: Content is protected !!
Top